Real Food Shamrock Shake

Shamrock Shake (Real Food, Vegan) | Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers

Two years ago I had my very last from-the-drive-thru Shamrock Shake.

And it was awful.

I wasn’t even that far along on my real food journey… and already all I could taste was the nasty chemicals and artificial ingredients. Yuck!

It was sad; I thought that my favorite Welcome Spring treat was gone forever. But it was safely out of my head, along with M&Ms, Girl Scout Cookies, and Tater Tot Casserole.

Now, however, with St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, Pintrest is peppered with variations of the infamous Shamrock Shake. It seems like every blogger has a Shamrock Shake recipe–some of them are beautiful confections with spray can whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles, and some that use vegetables to make them green.

Mine, believe it or not, is Vegan.

Real Food Shamrock Shake | Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers

Shamrock Shake

Makes 2-3 servings

Preparation:

Peel and freeze 3 bananas, the more overripe the better

Chill 1 can of coconut milk — I use this kind because it’s verified GMO free, and also because it is so thick and wonderful that you can eat it with a spoon. (Yes, I know this for a fact!)

When you’re ready to make the shake:

Blend the bananas in blender. Add the coconut milk and 1/2 of an avocado (peeled, with the pit removed) and blend until smooth and creamy.

Add 1/2 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of peppermint extract, to taste

Test for sweetness and add 1-3 teaspoons of maple syrup, as necessary

(In a very unusual turn of events, my Sweet Tooth and I felt that additional sweetener was unnecessary; it was my husband who insisted on the maple syrup!)

If desired, garnish with mini chocolate chips (like these)

Real Food Shamrock Shake | Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers

And there you have it: A healthy springtime treat. (Which is actually more green in person than it is in any of these pictures!)

Enjoy!

This post has been featured by Urban Naturale.

Share Your Stuff and Live it Up at the "Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party" Blog Hop #17

This post has also been featured by My Lamp is Full on Real Food Fridays..

And by Karen Lynn of Lil’ Suburban Homestead for the From the Farm Blog Hop.

photo ftffavorite.jpg

If you like this post, please share it!

Pin it HERE!

Real Food Shamrock Shake (Vegan) | Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers

This post has been shared at the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Blog Party HopTuesdays with a TwistThe Backyard Farming ConnectionHearth & Soul, the MaMade Blog Hop, and List-it Tuesdays. And at Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways and The HomeAcre Hop.

And Simply Natural SaturdaysSavoring Saturdays, the Weekend Wholefood Blender PartyMeal Planning MondayThank Goodness It’s MondayMostly Homemade MondaysNatural Living Monday, and the Homestead Barn Hop. And Fat TuesdayTuesdays Table, and The Gathering Spot. And Raising HomemakersFresh Food WednesdayWhimsy WednesdayReal Food Wednesday, and Wellness Wednesday. And Pennywise PlatterFreedom FridaysReal Food Friday, and Natural Family Friday.

And Simple Saturdays, the Clever Chicks Blog HopSimple Life Sunday, and the Sunday Social Blog Hop. And Wildcrafting Wednesday, and the Mountain Woman Rendezvous. And Simple Meals Friday, Farmgirl Friday, Old-Fashioned Friday, Unprocessed Friday, and the From the Farm Blog Hop.

**Note: This post may contain affiliate links, including Amazon.com affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support! **

StumbleUpon
Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Real Food Shamrock Shake

1. Pingback: My Week on Wednesday » Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers

2. Kim says:

Going to try this for St. Patrick’s Day. I love that you use GMO free ingredients. Looks yummy and health. Stopping by from MaMade Blog Hop.

3. Yuliya says:

I love healthy recipes like this! It’s really important in my house to eat healthy, clean foods, but I really enjoy sweets, and those types of shakes or whatever that are incredibly unhealthy. I love making recipes like yours that allow me to satisfy my craving without the calories, and unhealthy additives 🙂

• onceuponatimeinabedofwildflowers says:

Thanks! That’s one of the best things about eating real food — you CAN have your treats, and eat them, too! 🙂

4. Mmmm this sounds so good! I want one right now 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up with us at the MaMade Blog Hop! I hope you’re having a great weekend!

5. Raia says:

This sounds wonderful Christine! I’m going to have to freeze some bananas and try it out. 🙂 Thanks for linking it up to Savoring Saturdays. 🙂

6. Gosh, this looks awesome! I am going to make it for my kiddo when she comes home from school this afternoon. Wondering what kind of peppermint you use? Is it peppermint extract? Thanks! And thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

7. What a deliciously healthy way to celebrate St Patrick’s Day, Christine! I love that this is vegan too. I’ve pinned it to my St Patrick’s Day board and my Vegan board on Pinterest as well as sharing it on my Facebook page. Thank you for sharing your Real Food Shamrock Shake with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

8. Hi Christine,
    As soon as I read this recipe, I ran to the kitchen to see if I had the ingredients to make this amazing Real Food Shamrock Shake today–in honor of St. Patrick’s Day! I was missing the coconut milk so I am going to buy that and whip this up ASAP. I can’t wait to drink it. It sounds rich and delicious.Thank you so much for sharing this healthy St. Patrick’s Day recipe on the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

9. Pingback: Live it Up at the “Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party” Blog Hop #17

10. Yum! I’ve really got to get some mint extract…or make some!!!

• onceuponatimeinabedofwildflowers says:

Oh, I’ve never tried to make my own mint extract! I guess I’d better add that to the list! 🙂

11. Pingback: My Week on Wednesday… March 19 » Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers

12. Jenny says:

Yummy! I will have to try this. I love peppermint. I’ll be pinning. 😀 Thanks for sharing at our hop.

13. This sounds good! I made mine with spinach and oats snuck on there. Hello from Thank Goodness It’s Monday.

• onceuponatimeinabedofwildflowers says:

Thanks for stopping by! The spinach sounds like a good idea… I bet yours was greener than mine turned out to be! 🙂

14. Oh this is just perfect! Do you think it would be okay if I added a little Irish cream? 😉

15. Marla says:

Great recipe with such healthy ingredients. Shared on Pinterest & google. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays blog hop. Have a wonderful healthy day!

16. Thanks for sharing on Mostly Homemade Mondays! I look forward to reading what you post tomorrow when the link up goes live 🙂

Sincerely,
    Kelli @ The Sustainable Couple

17. April says:

Thank you for linking up this yummy looking shake recipe to Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up! 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful week!

18. Janine says:

Oh yum! I can do that one, like tomorrow! Thanks so much for linking up to Real food Fridays at My lamp is full. You have been featured this week. Do come again!

Janine

19. KarenLynn says:

I loved this recipe and I appreciate the very clear instructions and information on brands as well. My doc wants me to include more smoothies with healthy fats in my diet I will be trying this one! Oh and thanks for linking up to the “From The Farm” blog hop this week!

20. Pingback: From The Farm Blog Hop, My Fave A Milkshake Of Course We Got Chicks

21. Pingback: My Week on Wednesday, Irish Recipes, and Other Things That are Green » Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers